Sunday, August 10, 2008

Elizabeth update

I just wanted to take a moment to share with you the new things going on in Elizabeth's life. You can't capture every moment, especially talking ones, on camera which makes it harder to share. But she is growing smarter every day.

Here are some of the most recent developments

She enjoys watching Toy Story and will talk to you about the whole movie afterwards. From Buzz being sad that when he broke his arm, to Woody being mean, to the shark pretending to be Woody and saying "Howdy, Howdy, Howdy." It is so much more enjoyable to watch that movie (over and over again) through her eyes.

As for vocabulary, she is advancing miles everyday. She can almost say her name, but it sounds more like "E-zib-et" than Elizabeth. She is practicing what phrases cause what reactions, for example she tells mommy "I said no!" when she wants to see me purse my lips together and turn red in the face. hahaha. She copies virtually anything that pops out of my mouth, making me more aware of the things that I mutter under my breath, like "Stupid Computer!"

We looked into starting her into a preschool program this fall, a class for 2-3 year olds. We decided against it after considering the costs and the changes that Elizabeth will already have to face this year. Making our decision a little easier, was when we met with one Montessori teacher, she was talking about the sorts of lessons that would take place during the year and stated that Elizabeth would probably know all of her letters by the end of the year. When I told her that Elizabeth already knew her letters, she was stunned. When I read Elizabeth books I make random pauses to see if Elizabeth knows the word that is next, and have been excitably surprised at her comprehension. She just loves to read and sing songs. This education is something I enjoy doing with her, and would sorely miss it if she was learning it from someone else. We will look again into preschools next fall, to get her ready socially for school, but right now I enjoy watching her learn new things.

I am not sure if she fully understands that she is going to be a big sister or not. She tells people that Mommy has a baby in her tummy, and asks other people if they have babies in their tummies (Nick especially does not like this). She understands that Aunt Jen had a baby in her tummy and now has a baby (and you can't mention Aunt Jen without mentioning the PUPPY), so she may understand, but most likely she has no clue how her life will be different in about 6 months.

She loves to help mommy and daddy with chores around the house, even though there is so little that she can do, we try to find ways for her to help us. Here is a video of her putting a new trash bag in the trash can.

1 comment:

It's just us said...

I wish I got as much joy out of doing chores as Elizabeth.